Wednesday 1 April 2015

HE IS NO MORE

HE  IS  NO  MORE

 by  S. K. SENGUPTA  


“ Sir , there is a bad news . ” The call from Ruchireeka woke me up at 6.30 a.m. “ Sir , Vidur is no more . ”

“ What ?!! ”

“ There was a road accident ….. ”



Two hours later , I was at his home . People were dropping in one-by-one : neighbours , friends , classmates , teachers , relatives  ---  all in disbelief and shock . I sat in a corner . There was little to say for anyone . The body was still in hospital .A photograph of Vidur with a charming smile was silently watching over us .I got lost in his memories .



“ Are you upset ? ” I had asked Vidur once after I had been firm with him in the class for some minor indiscipline . I cannot forget his words , nor the look in his eyes , as he said : “ Sir , I can never be upset with you ! ”



“ Sir , how many marks have I got ? ” Vidur asked me as I had completed my checking , though results were not formally declared . “ You did well Vidur . You are fifth in rank in my paper , though you’ve topped amongst the boys . ” Little incidents like that were flashing across my mind .



Two days ago he came running to me from behind as he saw me in the morning : “ Good morning , sir . ” Two days later the morning brought me his death news . I remembered his heart-warming smile , his wit and his sunny nature which were part of his trade-mark . What I had before me now was only his photograph with a pleasant smile !




“ Vidur . ” “ Yes sir ” , and thus he used to mark his presence in the class during roll-call . His “ Yes sir ” still rings in my ears . I can still call out “ Vidur ” , but …..

No comments:

Post a Comment