Saturday 1 September 2012




WINTER  SPORTS

( Extracted from Le Journal By P.Woltt . Translated from French By S.K.Sengupta . )




“ The snow is good this morning , ” said I to the porter .
“ Tomorrow it will be better , monsieur . ”
A kid questioned me , “ Why monsieur does not go for sleighing ? It”s interesting too , sleighing ….. it’s for the children and the
old . ”
“ Are you sure it’s for the old ? ”
“ Oh yes , monsieur ! Grandpa does it every morning . ”
That reassured me .
“ And how does one take to it ? ”
“ That’s easy , monsieur . One sits on it and it moves all alone . ”
“ A guide is not necessary ? ”
He burst out in laughter , “ Oh no , monsieur ! ”




I was at last going to enjoy the winter sports . I bought a sleigh for me . A mild slope tempted me ….. , however I should have known that after the first turn …….
That delighted me . I installed myself on my sleigh . One was indeed well on this sleigh , but one missed a back .
“ Too bad , let’s go ! ”
Lord ! Help ! I run at 60 per hour . The speed augments . I go
mad ! A shock …..a shower of snow ….. I’m buried !
“ Mumma ! ”
One calls always one’s mother when one is old . I see blood everywhere …..
I feel myself ….. nothing ….. saved !
I abandon my sleigh and return on foot . Two hours of walking . I find the kid before the hotel .
“ Where’s your sleigh , monsieur ? ”
“ I abandoned it . It was going too fast for me . ”
“ Monsieur then did not use his feet ? ”
“ Feet ? ”
“ To apply brakes , monsieur . ”
“ Brakes ? ”
“ But yes , monsieur . One puts on brakes with his feet ! ”
The next day , I was proposed a trip in a bobsleigh . “ This monsieur , this will amuse you . ”





“ No danger , n’est-ce pas ? ”
“ You will be six . The one at the head will hold the steering-wheel , and as you are not trained …..
“ But yes , I am trained ! ”
“ Then you will be put in the tail . ”
Would I advance too much ? No. In the tail , I will fall over the others . I run no risk .
Here we part . It’s magnificent . What serenity , this run in the silence ! A skier wishes to overtake us ….. He falls , bravo ! Henceforth I will do no more but bobsleighing . In number , besides , one is immediately more sure of oneself , more courageous . It seems to me that we are not advancing . “ Don’t worry , within a few seconds we will be at 80 Kmph . ”




At 80 ! I clasp with my two arms the one who is before me . With a blow of the elbow he again throws me behind .
A cry : “ Lean to the right ! ”
“Why ? ” – “A turn … … look out ! ….. brake , the man at the tail ! ” – “With the feet ? ” ….. “ But no , brake with the brake ! ” …..
“ Which brake ? ”
I followed nothing ….. We tumble and what a tumble !
A friend advised me to purchase skates for myself . Skating is fun , he said , and safe !

No comments:

Post a Comment